Sunday, August 10, 2014

Landon Donovan announces retirement from MLS at the end of the 2014 season


Galaxy Official Website - After careful deliberation and many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last year as a professional soccer player,” said Donovan. “It has been more than anything I could have dreamed of to represent the LA Galaxy, the San Jose Earthquakes, Everton, U.S. Soccer and Major League Soccer throughout my career. There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

Well way to go you fucking dickhead. What kind of jack ass announces this sort of shit mid-season? How are we supposed to throw you a classy and understated farewell tour across every single MLS stadium throughout the entire season like we did with the down-to-earth and non attention-seeking Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter? How are we going to give every other team's fans the chance to bow down and suck your dick before seeing you walk off the field for the last time? What a selfish ass hole Landon is being.

In all seriousness, this is big news. Obviously it hasn't been a career without it's bumps, most notably missing out on this last World Cup, but it's undeniable that this guy has been the face of US soccer for the better part of the last decade. The closest thing to a household name that the US Men's National Team has ever had. Maybe not the most marketable or personable guys on the team (as witnessed by his screen presence while an analyst for the 2014 World Cup), but goddamn if he hasn't been a fucking catalyst for the team as long as I can remember. Absolutely an American legend.


No comments:

Post a Comment